The purpose of the first consultation is to establish the general potential of a project to meet a Client’s needs and get a sense of how well Architect and Client might work together.
Projects arise from changes of family circumstances, additional new family members arriving , older family members coming to live or simply a requirement for their living environment to be a better for an evolving lifestyle.
In the case of commercially driven projects, maximum use of space potential and highly efficient zoning of the site or building is a prerequisite.
My own interpretation of the word Architectural Design is – ‘the elegant solving of practical design problems for the benefit of the Client’
WHAT IS GENERALLY DISCUSSED
- The Brief – list of rough spatial , functional and area requirements
- Usability and how Client lives / works – lifestyle/ workstyle.
- The Site – Existing or New
- The Planning Context – planning requirements and issues in area
- The Process – From Concept to Completion, professionals involved, procurement options .
- The Budget- Rough estimate of how much is to be spent
- The Timeframe for project –
- The General Potential of site/ building to meet new requirements.
- Professional Fees – General outline of fees , Statutory charges etc involved.
- Previous Work – Issues arising and what works, doesn’t.
The more specific the Client is about their needs, available plans if in existence , the more benefit they will get receive out of the First Consultation.
KEY INFORMATION REQUIRED OF CLIENT
- Size of Site / building.
OUTCOME FOR CLIENT
- Better understanding of project’s potential to meet their needs
- How in the case of existing buildings , additional works might be required.
- Issues – Planning, Other to be overcome
- Better understanding of the Process and Costs