Concept, Planning, Tender and Construction stages- Project Architect
The site is located in Dublin’s Docklands around the corner form the iconic U2 recording studios and graffitti walls. The brief called for 106 x 2 and 3 bedroom apartments , street architecture with commercial to the quayfront , varying in size from 4, 5, and six storeys.
Dublin’s Docklands in 1997 were beginning to change and the architectural character of the docklands becoming more international style.
- Apartments at street level
- Desire for natural ventilation in each apartment
- Desire for to achieve sociability on each landing
- Underground carpark with structural plinth and apartment blocks over.
- We picked up on the gable fronted Mill type buildings in the area using modelled brick facades to create privacy at ground floor street level and depth to elevational treatments.
- Apartments to 4 storey streets were treated as small townhouses with access via landings on each level and no lifts( reserved for higher corner building)
- Internally , the columns in basement supporting the apartments above were used to concentrate heavier landscape features .
Project Architect with Fionnuala Rogerson Architects